Wednesday, April 29, 2009

ANZPT PLO Crucial Hand

Full report to follow, for now, a big decision ...

ANZPT Sydney : PLO Tourney $275 + $240 Rebuy option (not used)
114 Runners : 18 places paid : 1st gets $16,000 thru 18th for $611
42 players remaining - Blinds 300/600,
Average stack 25K, Hero 40K, Villain 22K
UTG calls 600 : UTG+1 (Hero) pots with Kh9hKc9c to 5200, fold, Villain re-pots it All In for 22K, fold, fold, fold - back to me.
Note : Just had dinner with villain and was able to put him on an exact holding of very strong AAxx before making my decision.

What would you do?

4 comments:

James P McAteer said...

GL! Your sounding confident. looking forward to next report.

parttimebonuschaser said...

i'm a wuss, i'd fold and wait for another spot

microstakes bankroll builder said...

its marginal but i am looking for suited run downs, eg qjt8 double suited. if ir were kk89 double suited mabe its better, but i dont think kk99 can improve enough v aaxx type of hand.
but you r almost 2-1 so either dec ok, but i am folding

TiocfaidhArLa said...

I called and in retrospect it was a mistake. Cash game, the call is fine. In fact, a fold is a mistake because I can never put my opponent on exactly AAxx and even then I'm getting 2-1.

In this tournament, I could have folded and been well above average stack. I believed at the time that I had an edge over my opponents post-flop and could have found much better spots to get my money in.

The "Deal or No Deal" option of the Bank offering me $1000 (equivalent of 10th) for a reasonable shot at $4000 (3rd) or $0 (busto) came into my thinking as I seen myself potentially close to chip leader.

Reality is that even if I'd won that hand, I wouldn't have pushed on with aggression (a failing of mine) and would have probably drifted into final table shortstacked eg $1000.

There was really only downside to my call here. I don't regret the decision as I have learned a lot over the past 24 hours thinking about it. It won't happen again!