Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quick ANZPT update

I had an early exit from Event 1 last Thursday not even making it to the first break. AQo when the flop came AJ5r. I check/min-raised to take it down on the flop but got re-min-raised. Mega alarm bells. Turn comes a Q. I bet, he min-raises so I decide to go with it hoping for the AJ or AK. I can't put him on 55 or AA because he called pre-flop. Sure enough, he had the dreaded JJ ... gooooone.

Yesterday was a lot better, just missing out on the money. 12th out of 99 in the PLO, final table get paid. I was just under average stack at the time. With A787ds in BB, flop came 69T, so I had the nuts (sounds good) but with 2 hearts out there, no redraw (very vulnerable multiway in PLO). Blinds are 500/1000, I had 33,000 chips. I potted to 6000 but got re-raised AI to be pot committed and shoved hoping to hold on with slight edge and go 3rd in chips. In fact, I was in better shape as the shove was a fishy 9TJK for top 2-pair and a gutshot. With 75% equity, I quickly went to 0% when Q fell on the Turn. Ah well, played well and just missed out.

Should I have folded my way into the money? With $5.5k for 1st and $575 for 10th, I think that the answer is possibly "no", but I'm open to comment. What I should have done though was check OOP and it might have been checked around. Then I can get away when the Q flops and someone pots it. Assuming the top 2-pair pots it, this becomes a more interesting spot. What should I do in this scenariodo you think?

Another experiential learning experience under my belt, I'm looking forward to the Tony Haschem Deep Stack today. At $330 for a Bounty Tourney with 30 minute blinds its another good value tournament. Hats off to PokerStars for backing the ANZPT.

4 comments:

parttimebonuschaser said...

sounds like you got your money in good there mate. unlucky

James P McAteer said...

Oh so close. I suppose your job at that stage should be to survive to make it into the money. But I keep reading that winners will play to win and ahem - be prepared to die to win or something. Good luck with the next event.

How about some photos on the next post?

The blindman said...

I like the idea of a checkraise all-in. The second 7 gives you a blocker against someone else having 78 (6 combos instead of 9), so the probability that someone is freerolling you with the nuts and redraws is fairly slim. There are about 30 cards in the deck which will scare you on the turn, but there's no way of knowing which ones hit your villains.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

What about check-call, and then shove any card that leaves me still with the nuts or check/call any of the 30 scare cards. That way, I can still fold my way into the money with ease.

The only thing is that I'm now getting too results oriented. You're right, checkraise all-in. If it gets checked around, all the better. There's plenty of time to get the money in the middle or let it go.