Monday, December 7, 2009

Tommy Angelo on Cash Plays

I haven't read the book yet but Tommy has been on so many pokercasts that it is either excellent or he has a great publicist. Either way, I have picked up a few things listening to him. Recently I discovered that Bart Hansons Deuces Craked podcasts are available on iTunes so I've been listening to them. They are informative and a great advert for the training site. Anyway, he has a 2-part interview with Tommy well worth listening to.

I was reminded of two moments that had a very positive impact on my results on the last two sessions. First was the bucks night home game when I got a bit of stick for dropping a few BIs very early. The best player present announced "You watch, all of those chips will be back over there before the end of the night". Likely or not, it did give me an image that I genuinely hung on to with every winning pot that night for a healthy win.

This takes me to the APPT where you will have read that I crippled us on two of the 40 minute levels; thankfully my partner was on fire and just went on a rampage both times. Just before midnight there would have been 20 something teams left and I was on break readying myself for the next level. We'd built back up and had about 27k with blinds of 600/1200, I think. Average would have been about 30k when two of my friends were leaving and we passed each other. One said to me that there were a lot of big stacks and that we really needed to make a move. My thinking was that our M was almost 20 and we were just below average so we were traveling just nicely. It just came out "Our M is almost 20 so we're still good". It was at this point that I got a knowledgable nod of confirmation from the same player that I respect from the home game above which had an uncanny assurity about it. It was this nod that I pictured on many subsequent decisions that night, not the negativity of the implosion round from two hours before. Tommy talks about exactly this kind of thinking, which was very real and recent for me. For the record, one poker savvy friend has definitely helped me earn $1000 in a week, thanks.

To round out my heater check this out. I guess I got my river bet-sizing perfect as he tanked for the longest time bank I've ever experienced. Happy days ...

4 comments:

James P McAteer said...

$1000 in a week? not too shabby

microstakes bankroll builder said...

i think you cost yourself $13 there. bet sizing etc etc.
but lovely to flop quads

TiocfaidhArLa said...

To be truthful, the $1000 figure was a little artistic licence as it was about $800, but still not too shabby.

As for costing myself $13 on the river, I'm not too sure. With $113 up for grabs I had a range of valid bet sizes, including:

- 1/5 pot value bet;
- 1/2 pot standard PLO river bet;
- $100 being a round number; and
- $113 AI.

The context is that he knows that I know that he has AA by this stage. In fact if an A falls on the river I should find a fold here. He can't have anything else.

I only have 2 possible hands KK or AK. AK should be ruled out because of the Turn betting.

I intentionally chose $100 as it looks contrived and purposeful. I've tried to put a % chance of getting called on each of the above and can't. My best guess would be 70%, 50%, 40%, 10%.

Player-dependent reads on situations like these seperate the Dan Harringtons from the TFALs.

I'd welcome further comment on optimal bet-sizing here - Turn and River.

microstakes bankroll builder said...

i dont agree with your river bet analysis, betting the pot is far less suspicious than under-betting. you are screaming quads from the rooftops at plo, (as he lets you know by going into the tank on the river, but who folds the 2nd nuts here? even your daft telegraphed bet sizes cant get rid of a monster like aces full)

but actually that doesnt matter.

when he checks the river, he is either folding to any bet or calling any bet, unless you make it 1bb or something like that. so you lose yourself the 13bb. thats the first point.

but actually its your turn play that is incorrect, and the principle error in the hand. slightly more than min-raising here accomplishes nothing. if hes calling a min raise, hes calling a slightly higher bet, where you need to be thinking 1 street ahead to seamlessly get the money in through a simple value bet as you say, on the river.

finally by calling your min raise he has turned his cards face up, you know through hand reading, unless he is a total donk, he has some kind of full house, so he isnt folding, ever, at these limits.

everyone always win money when we flop a hand like quads, the skill is getting all the money with these hands, not just most of it, and ESPECIALLY when deep.