Friday, August 29, 2008

Poker as a Profession?

I've admired Bloggers who take the time to share their journey and endure the associated criticisms. The inspiration for this blog was one particular blog "The Law School Dropout's Poker Blog" (http://zbasic.com/pokerblog.html). I'd highly recommend it to anyone serious about realising a life well lived - and re-evaluating what that actually means.

I will never be able to emulate the LSD's style of writing, or success at the felt. Hopefully, I can find the courage to be as open and honest, though. That remains to be seen.

As for objectives, I am as yet unsure and would welcome your advice. I think that I would like to become a professional poker player, but reading the LSD blog, I suspect that I'll give up before getting there. It remains to be seen why. Perhaps that will be the purpose of this blog - to work out what is more fulfilling for me than realising a childhood dream by practicing "the hardest way to make easy money".

My first brush with serious gambling was reading Norman Leigh's experience at Roulette in "13 Against the Bank". With the TwoPlusTwo community, I have found others similarly interested in the financial risk/reward of investing in the pursuit of gambling. IMHO, it's a much safer bet than striving for Olympic Gold. Falling way short is still +EV.

If you should stumble upon this and have experience or thoughts, please feel free to comment. I'm sure that it will help me structure my journey and perhaps I too can leave a legacy like the LSD's blog for those who might want to foolishly or otherwise pursue their own unrealistic, and potentially selfish, dreams.

No comments: