Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sydney to the mountains of Mourne

Left Canberra at 12noon for a 5:40pm flight out of Sydney for the UK and made it with ease. I didn't have many outs had I broken down or encountered significant roadworks but all was well.

After checking in. I had a couple of hours to kill before the new A380 took off. My PartyPoker Lobby threw up PLO100 tables and I took the first 6-handed game available that didn't have a massive stack. Ran pretty good and made a $130 profit before boarding the flight.

The trip over to the UK was very comfortable in economy. The plane was brand new and the passengers seemed to look after it a bit better than normal. TV screens in the back of the seat in front makes all the difference. Watched 3 movies on the way over; enjoyed Mickey Rooney in The Wrestler a lot, Four Holidays passed the time and some other movie with Ricky Jervais seeing ghosts in NY was pretty poor.

Singapore I had about 30 mins to play several orbits of PLO100 for a further 'conservative play' profit of $20. This was a very loose min50BB table and the stack average was well over $200. I sat tight, hit hands and got no action. A safe TAG win.

Heathrow not so good for WiFi access, I reckon that the GBP10 for 24 hr access is -EV, so I decided to watch one of my recorded videos from BigPoker.ca. It was a $530 S&G. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it. If so I recommend playing 15mins-25 mins in and then skipping forward to 45mins onward. Actually, I didn't learn too much, recapping:
- early, avoid AQ, AJ, KQ, 22-TT unless in late position as they can be lots of trouble.
- don't call for a lot of chips with AJ late but feel free to push with almost any 2 cards in the right spot.
- even 88 on an 89Q flop can be trouble with a raise and a re-raise.
The standard of play seemed surprisingly unimpressive for the BI, but I dodn't see everyone's holecards.

Good news is it is almost time to board my flight! The last leg to Belfast is barely an up and down.

No comments: