Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pride come before a fall

Ouch – met up with my old friend variance at the PLO100 table which on my bankroll isn’t the best place for it to happen. Anyway, it was a sufficiently big enough whack to dent my confidence and force me change my table selection filter from 25-100 to 25-25.

Pleased to report that the skill of discipline has seen me post about 9 consecutive short and modest PLO25 wins since. Compared to PLO100 it is petty cash, but it has brought my BB/100 back toward the 8 mark as I close in on my 10,000 hand milestone.

It also prompted some hand analysis and I’m winning big style with all of my better starting hands, losing with most marginal hands and almost all bad hands. Not surprising really. That said, the deception element of the broader hand range may be getting me more action and paying for itself in the Premium Hands (LAG style). Something I need to think about more. Surprisingly, the category of Premium Aces is one anomaly where I am losing. Probably a case of overplaying AAKQss etc post flop on a K/Q type board.

No comments: