Friday, October 31, 2008

7 live hours later, slight profit, interesting lesson.

Sat again in the Auckland NLH100 game and after 7 hours of table time am pleased to report another modest positive result +$55.

I played more hands than my last session report thanks to good cards. Had my fair share of good and bad luck. Lots of little things didn't go my way and one big hand did to my amazement.

Dealt KK early position, raised to a relatively table standard $12 and got $5 callers. A pot sized bet is over 1/3 of my $170 stack. Flop AQ7 rainbow, so I c-bet $55 to get 2 callers and 2 folds, I'm OOP now. Turn of 9 is essentially blank, and it goes check, check, check. River J for AQ79J. I check, MP bets AI for $21, LAG calls $21 and I'm ready to fold when a player that I respect tells me that my pocket Tens are good. Great call and it got me thinking. Working it thru, he could be right and I'd given up with 2 x $55 flop callers.

Opps turned K2 for total bluff and QT which seems a pretty loose call to me. I won, but felt very lucky, even though I was ahead throughout.

Lesson for today - not everyone thinks or plays like me and I need to take this into account in big decisions!

2 comments:

The blindman said...

Wow, 7 hours is a long session. Congrats on finishing ahead, commiserations on the hourly rate :)

What a ludicrous hand. 5 players call a 5xBB raise, including K2 and QT!?

I must say if I'm in a 6 way pot with KK at a loose table and an ace flops, I am giving up straight away. I expect at least one ace out there, and I doubt very much whether any player would fold a pair of aces fearing a bigger kicker (even though you are obviously representing a premium hand).

On the river, $21 is too small a bet for you to fold I think, given the (lack of) turn action.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Agreed in full!

It's a crazy game, soft in some ways but just crazy gambling really which isn't my cup of tea.

Just another style of game to be thought through and I felt better this trip. Hope to be back in 3 weeks again for another crack.