Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Different Stages in a Player's Life

I've been thinking about this article by Ray Zee on 2+2 a lot lately. I just don't know where I sit, live and online.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/zee2.html

My best guess is that I move from a 2.5 to a 3.3 online, and a 2.1 to a 2.7 live. I find it incredible that after all of the study I have so much more to learn. It could be depressing, or I could just realise that as long as poker remains a recreational pasttime that I must be ahead of the pack. The common figure used to be 5% of players are winners. I'm not sure that that still holds true, but anecdotally it seems reasonable.

Here is my first hand post that had my stomach churning. Is it a 2.9 or a 3.3?

GAME #1228444 NLH .50/1 x10 Table Cliftonville (50 bb min)
Seat 1: MP+2 ($123.00 in chips)
Seat 2: CO-1 ($151.55 in chips)
Seat 3: CO ($82.35 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero ($98.50 in chips)
Seat 5: SB ($112.35 in chips)
Seat 6: BB ($100.00 in chips)Seat
7: UTG ($100.00 in chips)Seat
8: UTG+1 ($47.90 in chips)Seat
9: MP ($161.58 in chips)Seat
10: MP+1 ($171.65 in chips)

SB: SB $0.50BB:
BB $1.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Hero [HJ HA]
UTG: Fold
UTG+1: Fold
MP: Fold
MP+1: Fold
MP+2: Fold
CO-1: Fold
CO: Fold
Hero: Raise $2.00
SB: Call $1.50
BB: Raise $9.00
Hero: Call $8.00 [I get played back at often when over-stealing, so hand range may well be wide]
SB: Fold

*** FLOP *** [C9 S4 S2]
BB: Bet $16.00
Hero: Call $16.00 [Not feeling good about this, but every so often you need to make a stand on c-betting from a meta-game perspective]

*** TURN *** [C9 S4 S2 D8]
BB: Check [Trapping or pot controlling?]
Hero: Bet $13.50 [1/4 pot bet to similarly put him on a decision]
BB: Call $13.50 [Bugga]

*** RIVER *** [C9 S4 S2 D8 C4]
BB: Check [Trapping?]
Hero: Bet $59.00 [If he wanted an AI, 1/2 pot would have been more effective - stomachs churning, but there is only one way to win this pot]
BB: Fold [Woo Hoo - Overpair or AK?]

*** SUMMARY *** Wins $137.00

2 comments:

parttimebonuschaser said...

was the minraise pre deliberate? misclick?

gutsy play afterwards though, but i guess his weakness was there ... might be why i dont play no limit :)

TiocfaidhArLa said...

The min raise was deliberate. I steal a lot these days and for balance need my better hands to look like steals too.

In my experience, I find that betting bigger polarises callers and 3-betters. I get called less with worse hands, more with better hands. This can be good for info and leads to more interesting post-flop decisions.

I don't always min-bet steal, but I will be fairly consistent per session. Last night, the cards dealt early were better and I found myself mostly pot-raising pre-flop. When in the groove, I stuck with that and adjusted my play based on the image that provides. More hair-raising but potentially more lucrative.

Gutsy? More like Fancy Play Syndrome, I suspect. The proof of the pudding will be over the next couple of weeks as I edge toward 3.3 and start losing big again.

Gotta love this game!