Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I love Badugi, Jitterbug Badugi

Well, not quite. The game is every bit as frustrating as everyone says. I haven't found the fun aspect as yet, but I haven't given up looking either.

For those that don't know Badugi, it is a bit of a fad amongst the gamblers. It is far from solved and very little known about strategy. That aspect has appeal to me, a bit like my PLO learning days (which will continue for a lifetime).

Badugi is a case of getting the lowest hands of different suits. A234r is the nuts. A 4-card Badugi (different suits) beats a 3-card Badugi. It is triple draw and the frustrating part is that your draw rarely completes whereas your opponents show down A235r etc all the time. Must be doing something wrong!

Anyway, I joined Pokerstars for the WBCOOP and found myself distracted as often happens. A couple of hours of Badugi later, I was almost break-even. If you want to give it a go, try this link first - http://www.badugipro.com/strategy.html.

Blindman reckons that the games may be softish elsewhere on Stars so I may go back to basics over the weekend. I was turned off by the interface. Does anyone know a way of customising it for multi-tabling so bets, pot size, bet pot etc is simpler? I found the interface to take up too much unnecessary real estate, with the all important maths data unintuitive.

6 comments:

The blindman said...

I'm not a big fan of the interface. In particular, the lack of bet sizes is quite annoying. And for some reason, HEM seems to be unable to work out which position I am seated in.

The blindman said...

Do you have AHK?
http://www.wickss.com/ahk/starshotkeys/

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Wow, I'm no wizz with technology but I have a script that appears to be running, thanks.

Stars doesn't fire up behind the firewall at work, so I'll try at home tonight and let you know.

I was unaware of this script, cheers.

The blindman said...

Or this:
http://www.overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/BetPot

parttimebonuschaser said...

heh badugi .. i've read a few posts about it on 2p2, but i doubt i'd risk a game for real cash unless i was confident I knew it back to front.

... or could easily see the correct strategy to take

TiocfaidhArLa said...

And there in lies the difference between my graph and the BCG's.

I decided a long time ago that play money poker, isn't poker. So I felt that investing a few bob to assist with experiential learning.

I'm not convinced that there is too much to learn about Badugi, it seems a bit flawed as a game.