Tuesday, December 16, 2008

WBCOOP Omaha - no good

Failed at my first attempt at the WBCOOP. I must say that I was confident going into the tournament that my new found PLO skills would see me through a field of 450 to make it into the last 72. Alas, after an hour and into the last 300, my short-stack went out with 17 wrap outs on the flop. But as often happens in a tournament, the last hand isn’t the root problem. To be fair, I could have been out much sooner and feel that I played reasonably well card dead.

The chip leader took his lead with no cards though; he was showing all sorts of aggressive bluffs including one that he took to the river with TTxx on an AQJ9Qr board. To his credit, he must have decided that no-one had a straight. That was a big pot and even then he’d never put his stack on the line doubling early. I do admire those that can read the board really well, I’m still playing my own cards a lot and bluffing with air early in cash games to take it down or find out where I’m at and fold to the raise. Obviously when I am strong, I get paid off handsomely.

I got away from all sorts of hands this morning post flop that others would have exited from. I managed to raise my chip count to $2640, when I was dealt 7c7s8dTh in the BB with a tight image. Average chip stack was $4500 and the blinds were now 50/100. MP limped and then CO made it 200 (which was a standard raise from him about 30% of unraised hands in position). I called hoping to hit a flop and stack off or just let the hand go. MP called. (3 runners, Pot $625)

Flop came 4c8c2s which was OK for me because I can just let it go. Check, Check, Check. Turn came 7d which completes a 56 straight, but otherwise is a good card for me with my trips. I decide to lead out for $350 and to my surprise get raised by MP to $950. CO folds and this is now a very interesting spot …

Would I have bet out with a straight (so what can he put me on)? Would MP have raised me with a straight? Is he pot committed or can he be pushed off with a shove. What can he realistically hold? If I put him on 56 for a straight, am I getting the odds to complete my FH with 9 outs? Is he just isolating me with a lot of outs on a wrap and a FD? Bugga … the joys of Omaha. I am not feeling in good shape and am now pretty much going for my 9 outs, if I call or shove. With $2140, I can still double up close to average stack if I fold, but I’ve been pushed off one or two marginal hands that I would have shoved with in a cash game. Can I call in this spot and hope to check down the River? He has been playing very strong Omaha, why would he risk his tournament life with a marginal hand as we have similar sized stacks. Could he be protecting trips? If so, would he not have done that on the flop?

Bugga … Thoughts?

6 comments:

parttimebonuschaser said...

Bad luck mate. Always the next one though. I slept in past that event.

I suspect my approach to that situation would be a lot different than your own. Given i'm pretty uneducated at omaha, i'd be erring on the side of being aggressive and trying to either a) build up a solid stack to allow me to squeeze into the top 70ish ... or b) busting out badly.

(with the odds leaning towards b)

This is exactly how i'm going to play any of the other events that I don't know what i'm doing at.

So in your situation I would have shoved almost without thinking about it, and probably just taken my medicine whilst praying for my 9 outer if behind...

TiocfaidhArLa said...

I might try your approach in the 8-game tourney. I had work this morning, so it was as well busting out where I did, not sure how long it took to get down to 72.

I'll update the remainder of the hand here a little later.

parttimebonuschaser said...

what are the 8 games in the 8 game tourney?

and that's exactly the way i'll be playing the 8 game as well i'd say, unless i happen to win a couple big pots in the games I know, and then fold preflop in the one's i dont to squeak into the 72.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/games/8-game/

Should be a lot of fun. Most of us will know 4 or 5 to a point. There should be quite a few coinflips in the others.

We might need to find a play money table in advance. Do Stars do private tables? If so a few of us should get together for a 6-max S&G 8-game bit of fun one evening this week.

James P McAteer said...

Did I read the rules right? Can we play in all the qualifiers?

Thinks stars only do Holdem play money tables.

parttimebonuschaser said...

all of them i believe. i'm off to work so will miss todays as well