Thursday, December 4, 2008

Win a trip to the WSOP

A couple of days without poker which I will put right at the weekend when I have a passout to play in the deepstack tournament that I won a ticket to 2 weeks ago.

That and the final table of the WSOP got me thinking ... Anyone interested in getting together and running a mini tournament series over the next 4 or 5 months with the winner going to the WSOP? We wouldn't need to play the main event as there are a lot of smaller buy-in tourneys? Also, Ivan Demidov only had 20% of himself I believe when he came 2nd, we'd have a similar arrangement.

Obviously, there'd be a lot of trust involved but the concept would be that all winnings from the WSOP would be distributed equally amongst the group. I think I have a few friends that would be happy to participate. The winner would have the experience but the downside is that they'd need the time off work. By running a series of tournaments online, we'd be assured of sending our best horse. With the supposed dead money there is (we'd just escape that category) it is probably a +ev situation.

Not sure of the logistics and as my wee blog has only attracted a couple of visitors the cost per person may be prohibitive. That said, as we are all hobby players, perhaps it will be something poker-related to do with our bankrolls. Just an idea that I hope has legs. Leave me a comment if you're interested.

5 comments:

The blindman said...

The cheapest way to get a run at the WSOP ME is to target the online freerolls. Last year, Pacific ran a series of freerolls for the WSOP exclusively for player who signed up via Pokerlistings. On average there were probably fewer than 150 runners for a $15k, which is a ludicrously good overlay. There are a few affiliate freerolls of this type, and if we could collectively target a number of them, there is a reasonably good chance of sending someone to the WSOP for free!

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Nice suggestion, I like your thinking.

I suggest revising the partnership to reflect the fact that anyone winning a freeroll ticket between now and the WSOP contributes the prize to the syndicate in return for 50% by way of Neteller transfers in cash from the other members of the syndicate.

Agreeing this in advance gives us all an interest in these freerolls that we can publicise amongst ourselves.

We could even just set aside a per person budget for entering online satellites with overlays.

Now I'm getting too complicated. Maybe we start another blog with multiple authors to track the Syndicate's freeroll path to the WSOP?

James P McAteer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James P McAteer said...

Hi - got your note about Harrington Cash book - I really like his tournament books but read some poor reviews on the Cash book so didn't buy it. Obviously you rate it?

Re. moving up - have been thinking about trying .25/50. I have enough personal cash to increase my bankroll to the required level and withstand some swings. The play is often so horrible that I keep thinking I am not really learning how to play at .5/.10 limits.

Cheers

TiocfaidhArLa said...

On HOCP, I think that his traditional conservative style probably doesn't set well with the online forum guys.

I used to always lose my shirt at NLH and never knew why, I became a break even player virtually overnight thanks to the book.

I always recommend getting it free from 2+2 though. It's worth it just to get the Las Vegas wrapping paper.

Take a shot at higher stakes Limit before going to Abu Dhabi, replaying the key hands will give you plenty of food for thought on the flight.

Take care!