Friday, December 12, 2008

New Year resolutions?

I've finally come up with my goal for December. Come up with proper goals for January. I've realised that I'm not a goal oriented person. Partly because I've been fortunate in life not to need them and partly because targets can be restrictive and have an unnecessary adverse psychological effect if you're not trying to get anywhere in particular.

In my businesses, I've never had a business plan. I've known roughly where I've wanted to get to. It is often ambitious by other people's measures. Then I just try to get the important things right and avoid the big mistakes. Every so often when I arrive somewhere, I pause look around and 9 times out of 10 I'm happy with where I have arrived and set out again. A big downside is that employees often need targets and I sometimes feel like I fail them in that regards. Other times I think that I demonstrate not to get hung up on the result but concentrate on the decision making.

And so to poker. Dan Harrington wrote something along the lines of "NLH is the perfect game as it simulates life in a compressed way". Actually it was probably nothing like that but that is the impression that he left me with and the more I play the more I know it to be true.

The BCG shared with me how he would approach Badugi and there is no doubt that the blindman's rational man would agree 100% with that approach. Also, LaffyChappy wrote about his Flying Scot inspiration (I now need to watch the movie as I virtually know someone with first hand experience). But the good thing about meaningful goals is that they need to be personal.

I will learn Badugi, I'm sure. I'll probably not stick with it as it seems flawed but it will be a sound introduction to draw games. Winning a HORSE bracelet would be for me the pinnacle of success. I've been playing with O/8 as a split game and then I just need to master the stud variations and go for it in retirement.

Last night at PLO, which was a disaster for me this time last year, I sat on Stars at two PLO25 tables and stood up with $130 and $112 dollars. I got lucky cards, but I folded way more than usual with no regrets and got it all in the middle holding the nuts or close to it a few times. More right moves and less mistakes.

So as we near year end, it is time to pause and have a look around:
- I am a competent online player which is far from easy these days.
- Amongst my network of local friends I have an edge, but only one or two of them take poker anyway seriously.
- I have a healthy hobby that stimulates the brain and doesn't cost me anything other than my time.
- All my life I've been an above average all-rounder and this is showing through in my poker.

The massive downside is that it takes me away from my family and has consumed too many thinking cycles. I am less up to date with current affairs, get less exercise and have a skewed perception on the value of money in these turbulent economic times.

So, I will ponder goal setting for the New Year, I've never had resolutions. And hopefully they will have more to do with Laffs fitness regime and life balance that winning x dollars. As always, thanks to all of you who happen by this neck of the internet woods.

4 comments:

PHLUKKE said...

Now i really an f**ked up. don't know up from down .????

regards
L4

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Adam's blog is like one of those team building exercises where you need to get all of the team across canyons and off the mountain, together.

I'm not setting any goals for myself on this one, just to help where I can. It would be a happy place though if next Christmas if this fellow blogger was a consistently winning and happier player. Stick with it, mate!

I just left this comment on today's Blog Suspended entry which has got to be the coldest deck I've seen. I'm lucky never to have experienced anything close to this ...

http://limit-holdem-dream.blogspot.com/

These hands were like watching CNN - going from one disaster to the next.

Most were "set over set" type situations where if you put yourself in the other guys shoes their play wasn't fishy at all.

Some were suckouts and bad beats but not many.

I wish that it was your play not your blog that was suspended.

The Laff had a great suggestion to you last post - take a break or try something different.

I'll track down the details of a book to read - perhaps you could think about no poker, reading that and blogging the key things that you learn each day. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I'd rather read about your experiences rather than the littany of bad beats.

You have a few people that understadn the game a bit willing to help. Let's try to get back to basics, mate.

James P McAteer said...

Hey TFRL. I am with you on goals. I set em and usually forget about em. For me making progress is more of a feeling that build inside you. I realised a long time ago that ALL good things take time. Especially if you are not naturally gifted. Refusal to give in - unless its hopeless or ruining your life is key. Staying positive and celebrating even the smallest success keeps you going. Look at Leatherass - not naturally gifted I think - but mega work ethic and a refusal to quit = success.

I also agree about the value of keeping some kind of contact with other pokerees. It's been a great help to me - I owe a thank you to L4Y who invited me to get in toutch via the blogging system.

Hope you have a great year in 2009.

Also hope you enjoy the movie! He also self published a book which you could order from Graeme - I never did unfortunately.

I first raced against Graeme in 1984 - I was 22 and he was 17. He won a 25 mile time trial in around 57 mins on a freezing March morning (I did 1h 6 mins - DOH!)

This the a few secs of his world record in 93. he made the bike himself. with a washing machine bearing in the bottom bracket.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ml6KT5MArC8

TiocfaidhArLa said...

"Obviously I wasn't the fastest skater. I don't think I'll take the medal as the minute-and-a-half of the race I actually won. I'll take it as the last decade of the hard slog I put in."

This quote is from one of my hero's Steven Bradbury who won speed skating gold for Australia in 2002. May have been our first ever gold. You can read about him here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Bradbury

When I play on Ladbrokes, that is my picture. And yes, Leatherass for his work ethic is up there too.

PS Hopefully Adam will be back online soon. Adam, if you're out there, I'd welcome your email address by way of deleted comment. We miss you!