Saturday, September 13, 2008

AQ Lucky or Unlucky?

Humans are phenomenal pattern matching machines and can spot coincidence in chaos. When 9s are about, people play them. Whilst irrational, when you see this phenomenon discussed in a live game, be a little wary of matching flops that night.

Anyeay, last night I had 3 AQ hands on less then 100 played. I was tired so played just 2 tables but went up to $1/$2 to make me think. I could've not played, but I'm keen to make sure that I can put in volume even when not feeling 100%.

My 3 AQ hands had 2 for me and 1 for my opponent. Results were 3 AIs, for $70, $130 and $200. All pots built steadily on all streets, abeit different pot %. After river there was TPTK with Q high board, a set with QQQ and A kicker, and heart flushes AhQh vs Kh6h.

I playes 2 hands well and 1 badly and finished the session up over $100. I got away with an amazing number of steals. I was also dealt KK and AA but no-one called my "steal". No matter how I look at it, I had a very lucky session.

Next time I have a bad session, I will realise that it is only the evening out of this one and hopefully I'm less likely to tilt.

If interested in my bad beat story, please click on 1st comment ...

1 comment:

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Sorry, not a bad beat story at all. Be careful for what you wish for though. I made a bad call on the turn thinking I had 9 outs with Kh6h. With $160 in the pot, opp shoved river with what looked like top str8 for $90.

I checked the board wasn't paired and called, counting my new bankroll at the same time. To my shock, he had AhQh. "Ouch vnh" ... "ty" ... and we both moved on - No Tilt.

It was after this that I won the other 2 AQ hands when I impressed myself with my own even keel - even when tired.

I hope this doesn't come across as a brag, it is merely a self indulgent opportunity for me to reinforce this +EV behaviour.

Maybe others will stumble upon it and hopefully relate to it.

I try to think of life as one big session, you'll have your good days on your bad days. Life tilting rarely helps either (but sometimes it feels good, I guess).