Monday, September 15, 2008

Moving on up - NL100

It was Sunday night and I settled down to play a couple of hours of poker. Not sure why, but with $2000+ now in my bankroll and on a good run, I decided to try 4-tabling NL100. I promised myself that I'd drop back pretty quick if I wasn't feeling OK with it.

It seemed fine. I could still steal quite a few blinds. I seemed to make reasonable decisions on the flop. I stab a lot and then get away from it on resistance. Doyle Brunson wrote in Super/System that people think he's lucky when he sucks out, but that in reality, he's freerolling because when they didn't have it, they'd folded. So between my CO and c-Bet stealing, I was involved a bit with a few chances to play for stacks.

After 3 hours of 4-tabling at a higher level, I was breakeven. Unfortunately no rakeback / bonuses etc which would ave left me up. I'm now officially a King at Party though, just when I wanted to leave.

Before bed, I thought that I'd have one shot at NL400 just to see. I lost almost $200 early but had my money in when ahead, so reloaded. 100 hands later, I'd won two biggish pots to finish up +$300.

I think I'll stop giving updates on my bankroll, because I know that a downswing is just around the corner. Until now though, it has been relevant, because I started with a goal of moving up the limits within my bankroll (I've strayed outside occassionally and got lucky).

The focus that the blog has provided has helped my play. I'll now move up to NL100 for a period and see how that feels.

Over the next few posts, expect Risk of Ruin and the Future of winning poker to be discussed.

3 comments:

parttimebonuschaser said...

heh nice work.

out of interest, what was the logic behind the NL400? super fishy table?

TiocfaidhArLa said...

I wish I was that smart ... table selection is not one of my strengths. Another area for improvement and subject for down the track no doubt.

I really felt that I was playing my A game and I'd tried NL200 the night before. I'd just stepped up to NL100 and seemed to do it with ease (probably just positive variance).

I really wanted to see what the higher limit was like. The TAGs were just TAGgier and the LAGs were LAGgier. I won't stay there, but the occassional foray when I'm confident might help keep me awake.

The truth is that multitable grinding can be a bit of a grind :-).

PS If you comment with your email and delete the comment, I'll get it and drop you my email. I really do appreciate you stopping by.

parttimebonuschaser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.