Monday, September 8, 2008

Cashed again ...

Looking forward to Sharkscope again. I think NLHE cash games have helped my tourney results. Basically, I am way more aware of the fact that your entire stack is regularly under threat. I find myself calling down for pot control, a skill I never had before Harrington on Cash and Bart on PokerRoad Cash Plays.

So why am I so cocky this evening, another cash for $485 in a tourney has brought my bankroll over the $2000 target. I still think that it is not NL50 related though, so I will continue grind it out a bit more befoire taking a serious shot at moving up permanently. Certainly not until my medium pairs gaping hole is plugged; all advice there most welcome!

While playing the tourney, I had two NL50 games going. Got my money in ahead twice on one table to lose 1 cumulative buy-in before standing up from that table. The variance evened out on the other table where solid play and a few timely steals saw me stand up with $111. Across both tables, after 150 hands I was up 15 BB/100, I think. Still on track over a very small multitabling sample size if it is.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has commented. I honestly didn't think that anyone would find this little blog and it sure is nice to have company. Woo Hoo!!!

4 comments:

parttimebonuschaser said...

man, you're a tourney god ... nice work :)

The blindman said...

If you want advice on medium pairs, you better tell us how you are playing them.

My philosophy (but bear in mind that I don't play a lot of NLH cash) is this:

Middle pairs (say 88 to JJ) generally play very well heads up, well with many opponents (aiming to hit a set), but poorly with 2-3 opponents. In early position, I will raise unless it's a loose passive table where I expect multiple callers. In late position I will raise if there is one limper (or none), or call if there are multiple limpers. If there is a raise ahead of me, it depends on the read of the raiser - if his range is wide I may reraise to isolate, otherwise I may just call or even fold (e.g with 88 vs a tight raiser). If there is heavy action preflop (raise/reraise) I am willing to let go. I won't risk my stack PF when I am at best a coin flip (vs AK or AQ) and at worst a big dog (vs a bigger pair).

Postflop, you are ideally looking for a set (bingo!) or an overpair. Against one opponent you should also be prepared to be active even with overcards on the flop (but don't put your stack on the line with a crappy hand unless you have a solid read).

But I'm just another donker grinder. You probably know all the above.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Fair call, Blindman.

I'm impressed that you are able to write down what you do, I couldn't do that off the top of my head.

I've just run up PO and will replay the hands to see what it is that I do. I'd happily attach the output but don't know how to.

Any advice on linking a file to this comment?

The blindman said...

I can't say that it's what I do 100% of the time (esp since circumstances are never exactly the same), but at least it's what I think I should do when I actually think properly about it :)