Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Good beat story ...

So much blogging time and poker conversation talks about bad beats. One of my life philosophies is that what you focus on usually grows, positive or negative. Hence, I prefer talking about the hands where I get lucky. I had one last night that bolstered my bankroll further.

I've decided that grinding out NL50 is good when I'm enjoying it, but I'm not learning too much unless I study specific hands or read books that I try to put into practice. That said, I hold my own a lot better than I did a month ago.

Anyway, last night I was struggling with concentration so decided to take a shot at NL200 and promise myself to play really Tight. I got a few raising hands in good position and picked up the blinds and on one occassion c-bet successfully 1 caller who folded the flop.

With $230 in front I was dealt AA on the button. Early position made it $8 and mid position raised it to $24. Ithought about it and looked at the stacks. The re-raiser was on $200 have auto-clicked rebuy to max, the original raiser had only $71.

My 3 choices seemed like call, raise or shove. I selected the call thinking that the early position may shove and if the re-raiser shoved, called or folded would be more data for me. If he folded, so be it, I'd check out the texture of the board and the size of the c-bet.

Dream come true, raise AI with the remainder of his $71 and re-raiser pushed AI with his $200. Mine was an easy call but an anxious wait as the cards landed, small price to pay for +EV.

7 ... 9 ... K ... Q ... 6.

The worst thing about these hands at a cash table is that you don't get to see the hole cards before the board is played out. I was sure that I must be facing KK and or QQ. Luckily, very luckily it was JJ ($71) and AK($200).

I played a few more orbits without getting involved, then cashed out happy that I'd experienced my A game, albeit with a relatively simple decision.

Note to self : If I had been multitabling, I am not sure that I would have been as in tune (even with teh HUD) to the likeliehood of using the others' aggression against them. This became very akin to the concentration I have playing live.

8 comments:

The blindman said...

Well played. If you shoved, it's quite likely that one of them would have found a fold.

PHLUKKE said...

Nice philosophy. A very valid point . I do need to concentrate on the things i do well not just the bad beats . Adam

parttimebonuschaser said...

hehe sounds like a bit of a bonus hand.

the only thing you need to be careful of there is that you're giving the original raiser 3:1 on simply a call.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Thanks guys, I've replayed this hand in my head many times now and yes, had the original raiser called I was going to struggle to get away from 77, 99, KK etc.

The re-raiser being LAG, I was confident that the raiser would squeeze there suspecting a loose 3-bet. Coupled with my apparent weakness, I had no doubt that he was shoving here with TT+ or AK, or representing a lot of the time given the pot and potential dead money.

It was a dream hand the way that it played out and it was a big bonus. It still felt nose bleed though given my relatively strict bankroll management.

I really appreciate the feedback guys.

The blindman said...

Why would you be worried about giving him pot odds of 3:1, when his probability of winning is much worse than that? Better that he call at 3:1 than fold to a push.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Great question blindman, so I went to PokerStove to run my equity. I gave the UTG raiser (Tight) 6% of hands raised in that position, and the MP LAG 21% on the 3-bet.

I ran my equity and came up with 72%. Then, I dealt out 10 random boards with a real pack of cards (quaint, I know).

Equity post flop became 63, 58, 69, 86 (flopped trips), 76, 77, 67, 78, 62 and 79%.

I know it isn't very scientific, but it seems to back your opinion, I shouldn't have been worried, equity goes up or down 50% of the time post flop. Only 1 board was in any way co-ordinated.

Psychologically though, I think post flop I will face a significant bet and have a reasonably tough decision co-ordinated or not. I'm finding a more straightforward style suits me better. Play within my bankroll and look to get it in there when ahead.

Good point you make though and I will think on it more.

What would you suggest I do in three post flop instances if they check, check to me (which they'd be unlikely to do):

1) an uncoordinated flop
2) board pairs
3) broadway board

or shove, shove to me ...

4) an uncoordinated flop
5) board pairs
6) broadway board

No explanation required, just amounts please. I really appreciate the feedback as I didn't even think my little blog would've been discovered yet.

The blindman said...

Good question..

> check, check to me (which they'd
> be unlikely to do):
1) an uncoordinated flop
2) board pairs
3) broadway board

All of the above, I'm probably betting the pot. Broadway is very scary, but if they checked they probably don't have two pair or a set. Paired board is a bit scary if it's faces, but if you don't bet you're none the wiser (I'll probably fold to a check-shove without other information).


> or shove, shove to me ...
4) an uncoordinated flop

Easy call. If they have a set I'll take my medicine.

5) board pairs

If the pair is faces I probably find a fold. Otherwise, probably call.

6) broadway board

Fold. 2 pairs, sets, straights all over the place.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Cool, they all work for me.

I was giving some thought to MP, that'd be an interesting spot with the flop being TPTK. The pot odds mean that it's all getting in there eventually for me, I think.

The perils of JJ, AK preflop, eh? Gotta luv this game!