Monday, September 22, 2008

Risk Management, Bankroll Management, Bonus Chasing and Goals

Effective risk management can be a life skill. The world is full of dangers (and opportunities). Navigating through (and capitalising on) these requires an assessment of both the likeliehood and the scale of each. The impact and chance of most are so insignificant, that they don't warrant anything more than following our instinctual actions. Others however deserve substantial consideration. Let's agree for now that Impact * Likeliehood = Residual Risk (opportunity).

Bankroll Management for me up to now has been based around minimising Risk of Ruin (RoR). That has dictated that I play micro stakes, starting literally at 1c/2c until I was a consistent winner, then moving up. I started with $25. I could have invested $1000 at that time. I'm glad I didn't. I would have lost. I struggle to beat $1/$2 NLHE after 3 years, I had no chance back then.

Any game with a -ve EV represents a 100% RoR over a sufficient sample size. That means, mathematically you're guaranteed to lose. The only way to win are to stop playing after your initial lucky run or become +EV, a true and consistent winner. Your results over 10,000 hands are just that, a result. Only an analysis of hands played could guarantee that your actions were indeed +EV over such a small sample size.

It would appear that I am a very marginal winner and it feels like I know more each week, which can't be bad. My results are certainly improving and I am more focused on making the right play as opposed to short term bankroll swings. That's probably a good thing ... so long as I keep a realistic eye on RoR.

There is a positive side to Bankroll Mgmt though in terms of funding stepping up. To date, I've chosen to prove to my family that the time investment in poker was paying off by withdrawing cheques periodically. Time away from family is a big investment to compensate for so I need to win bigger to justify this. I was at a run rate of $1000 per qtr. I then stepped up and wasn't able to do this anymore as I went back to being a very marginal winner/loser with no RoR.

Before starting the blog, I found that I was playing better poker, playing higher stakes and probably better players, knew more about the game but made less money and enjoyed the grind less. So much for winning, eh?

I was spending less time on table selection and I was playing Noble poker who had withdrawn the rake that they used to pay me because of an iPoker enforcement around rampant rakeback. I liked iPoker and had PokerOffice stats on all my opponents.

I used Party and other iPoker skins to claim on the 2+2 book bonus (contact me if you'd like more info) which was the best move ever. I got better at the game. BTW, if you haven't read all 5 Harrington Books, go check out the offer and do so as soon as possible.

Since the blog, a few guys have stopped by and encouraged me. They've also through their blogs reminded me of the opportunity to chase bonuses. Something I've held off from because I was more focused on winning than having my credit card out there and risk greater RoR through Identity Theft, or similar.

The personal guidance that I've been provided with is first rate and nothing has been asked for in return. My eyes have been opened to opportunities that I was quite frankly missing. Tips on how to structure my records. The best tip was the simple one of opening a Neteller Account (again feel free to contact me for guidance).

Goals ... my one starting the blog was simple (see previous entry). I'd like to be able to make a rewarding career out of playing poker professionally. I'm just working out how to achieve this. (Aside, rewarding is not just making a healthy profit, a subject for another day.)

So will Bonus Chasing improve or hinder my progress to a better player? Here are my thoughts, I'd appreciate your feedback:

- I can significantly reduce my RoR as my performance without rakeback can be marginal;
- If my bankroll grows I can play better opponents quicker within my bankroll criteria;
- I'm incented to put in volume and hence determine my true winrate at various levels;
- experiential learning at volume supports my study; and
- there's nothing really to lose by it.

One last thought to leave you with. It appears that the best bonus program at present is William Hill which I have jsut signed up for. It's not the most elegant site and I've experience low player volume when it suits me to play as I like Full Ring. Last night, I had a 2 hour session 4-tabling NL50, NL100, PLO, PLO/8 at once. This is something I would never have considered before.

It was mentally stimulating and I had two lucky hands which helped me finish the evening a winner on all 4 tables for a total addition of a few hundred bucks. One of the good beat stories will be summarised in as a comment as it isn't my reason for this post.

Finally, thanks so much to the Blindman and Bort in particular for all your guidance. It has made a massive difference to my outlook for the future. Cheers!

6 comments:

TiocfaidhArLa said...

OK for those interested in good beat stories ...

Arrived at only FR NL100 table on WillHill. New site to me so no histories on me or others.

3 of 5 to my right had 100+ stacks. To my immediate right was $460 - risk / opportunity, eh?

QQ in BB, I raised to $5 to build workable pot before seeing if A or K flopped. I was OOP on big stack.

Flop QT4 rainbow, sweet. Lead out for $10 to build pot and disguise full strength. One Call and $460 raises to $30. I just called, and other guy folded.

Heads up, Turn comes A. I bet $25to look like blocker bet on scare card - in truth I wasn't worried - if he has AA so be it. He called.

River paired the T. I pushed AI, and got called without hesitation. Again TT or AA, so be it.

Beauty, KJ. I'd sucked out on him but played it reasonably well, I think. I definitely got lucky but that's poker as much as bad beats are.

May you be similarly fortunate :-).

The blindman said...

Good post. All valid points, I think. To me the main downside of bonus chasing is the inconvenience of starting new accounts and downloading new software (and playing unfamiliar opps). Once you're used to it, it becomes pretty fast and easy. And eventually, you find that you are simply opening new skins on networks that you are otherwise familiar with.

Nice hand there. Pretty well played, I think. You disguised the set well enough for him to give you a cheap card on the turn. I guess you're getting your chips in whatever happens, but I think it's notable that the chips went in when you were ahead.

parttimebonuschaser said...

nice post. Just be careful playing multiple tables of different games - you can easily get yourself into trouble doing that if you're not concentrating 100%.

I think that even if you quit bonus chasing in the end, as long as you have a solid rakeback deal you'll be fine. The chasing just adds that little bit extra on top of regular rakeback.

I dont think i'd ever consider playing at a site where I had no rakeback or bonus at all.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Managing the multiple sites is relatively traightforward, thanks. The Neteller tip was a good one too. Previously I ended up leaving residual $50 here and $50 there when getting my books.

As for multi-tabling mixed, agreed. It was a funny night - I just felt good. The PLO/8 was my first time ever playing it cash, the opposition seemed very soft. I did get lucky with 1 big rash hand though when we all pushed AI preflop :-). I hit the HH with no qualifying LO.

And I agree, I hope never to play without rakeback ever again ... playing the volume I need to just to improve, its leaving money on the table for no good reason.

As always, I really appreciate all of your advice.

parttimebonuschaser said...

just realised we're not cross linked up on our blog links.

i'll add you in

The blindman said...

Blog has gone a bit quiet. What's happening?