Sunday, November 2, 2008

Coming up with goals ... Why do we play poker?

November is here and I'm impressed by the bloggers and 2+2ers that post goals and then report on them monthly. I'd like to do the same, but I really don't know what goals to set.

I'm happy with my volume, mixing it up with a variety of games, bankroll treads water (goes up, I take a shot - goes down, I knuckle down and grind), I still love the study (read a few more pages of Small Stakes Hold'em and want to get back to Limit Multi) and I feel overall like I'm getting better.

I'm not complaining, by any means, but I do envy the focus and discipline of all you other guys (any girls) out there that can track your progress so clearly.

One post I was going to include was - why play poker? I remember clearly reading Alan Schoonmaker's explanation. Then I read this on Alex's blog "Tower of Checks" http://bubbleb0y.blogspot.com/.

For the record, as at Nov 08, my motivation would appear to be:

1) Measuring myself: 45%
2) Money: 10%
3) Accomplishment: 30%
4) Excitement: 10%
5) Socialize: 5%
6) Pass time: 0%

Anyone out there like to let Alex and I know what your motivations are? Based on the above, any suggestions on goal setting for me?

4 comments:

PHLUKKE said...

Being brutally honest......I wanna WIN . not the money , just WIN . For my self-esteem i need to find something in life i excel at . For 40 years i have been bumbling along as average and it fkn annoys me . Consistency is also very important and i have challenged myself to prove that i can achieve that too.
As a suggestion for yourself - stay at the level you know you can beat . grind it day in day out while you are feeling it . play with your A game , quit if not . At the end of the month , re-assess. You will then have your MARKER and be honest . post more . regards . L4

TiocfaidhArLa said...

I love your honesty. If being in the top 5% represents above average, I think you're well on your way.

The problem is that most of the 5% are bloggers, they study and they multitable.

In terms of grinding it out, work and family mean that I need to pick my spots in terms of playing. I try to choose a game that suits my mood / ability to play. That way it stays fun, not always profitable though.

PHLUKKE said...

Sigh......yes, u hv hit the nail on the head . FUN.......when the hobby transitions into something more......i guess that is the difference between PROFESSIONAL and amateur . the 1% 'ers. L4

NC said...

I strongly believe is setting goals and most importantly keep them in sight. I am the type of person who easily can fall into procrastination and contemplation, so setting achievable (but challenging) goals helps me keep myself motivated.

I think it's a great first step to identify why we really do something, helps keep it in perspective AND set our goals in acordance to it.