Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Long term poker goals

Inspired by BCG ...
http://bonuschasinggrinder.blogspot.com/2008/11/long-term-poker-goals.html

Do I have ambitions to turn professional? Yes, I grew up playing cards around the kitchen table. I watched the Sting every time I could. I played pool and cards for money at school and was a consistent winner. I had a brief time being a side-kick for a NY pool hustler who paid me at the end of a winning night. I've rarely gambled and close to zero in the last 10 years. In yesterday's Melbourne Cup I took the +EV position of bookie to those wanting to avoid the TAB queue. I love risk assessment and finding +EV situations. Poker creates that opportunity daily on countless occassions. The challenge of finding those spots stimulates me. As I approach retirement, I would be keen to take it seriously as an income stream.

What is my motivation to play? I like winning at whatever I attempt to do. I wasn't smart enough or motivated enough to study earlier in my life. I am ahead of the pack - but well behind the regulars at poker. I enjoy the nuances and mathematics of the sport. It stimulates my risk based thinking and keeps my mind inspired.

Will I switch to no limit or some other form of poker? I have done and its tough but exciting for all the reasons above. If I am to be serious, I need to focus more and I'd like to master all of the games. Ultimately, I'd like to be playing competitively at HORSE on a regular basis, plus Badoogie and whatever else comes along.

Will I move up limits? Up and up and up within my bankroll limitations. I have no set limits on how I can go realistically. The game is more enjoyable against better players, I just can't win or afford the potential variance losses yet as a marginal winner.

What do I want out of poker? Get healthier. I'd like to take the time to jog, swim in the ocean and travel.

How do I stay motivated? Basically I play when I want to play. At present, that is any spare time that I have. When I took up golf, squash and snooker I was similarly obsessed. This phase will pass and I'll settle into a nice routine with a healthy balance, I hope.

So where would I actually like to be in a couple years? Travelling for pleasure and logging in from Tuscany, Mexico, Macau, Kenya and Belfast to supplement my income.

What is wrong with the higher stakes? Nothing as long as I'm winning. In fact, having deposited only $25, and ground out 1c/2c for quite a while I am already at the higher stakes in a lot of ways. I will never challenge Ivey or Durrr. I'm not that smart, dedicated and I certainly don't have that much gamble.

Tournaments? I love the fact that everyone sits down equal regardless of wealth or race. This is where I hope to beat the best of the best on an even playing field. My dream is to win the $50K HORSE at the WSOP.

Live play? I enjoy online a lot. A good live game is great for the company and the added stimuli. I'm not good at live yet but need to spend the time studying people at the table if I am to win a bracelet. Good to dream, eh? I'm realistic to know that it is a million to one shot though, or worse.

What about education? I've read a lot of books. Plan to read a lot more as more is written about the other forms of poker and definitely plan to subscribe to CardRunners etc. I got a birthday present of a subscription, but can never find the time to watch a few videos. Maybe I should give up blogging for a few months :-).

How will I stay on track to achieving these goals? Actually, I'll never achieve one quarter of what I've written as I don't set goals or take this nearly seriously enough. That's me and I'm cool with that. Well above average should come relatively easily and that will do me.

So I am going to .....? just keep cruising along. Everything always works out in the end

Might add some more if I think of any ....

Thanks BCG ... you are an inspiration!

2 comments:

parttimebonuschaser said...

no worries mate. good luck

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Very nice blog. I like the analysis of your poker goals. Maybe I will attempt to go through this sometime myself. Not doing anything important at work tommorow.....

Also I added you to my favorite poker sites. Sorry I haven't updated that in a while.

Best,

-Mike