Monday, January 12, 2009

Laff's Hand History

Laff posted a few hands looking for comment, so this post is to be read in conjunction with Laffs entry ...

http://hmmog.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-am-fish.html

By way of disclaimer, I always struggle with hand histories on forum posts as I believe that there are many valid lines to take with any hand. The result should be secondary, its the decision making that counts. In isolation though, I find myself only able to make obvious observations such as fast playing trips, protecting TPTK etc. That said, here goes. I'd welcome any comments on my commenting.

Hand 1: I always play flopped trips fast. Partially to avoid this disaster but primarily to capitalise on my good fortune. The River escalation was a little crazy as it started with a check and got out of hand. No hand that we were beating was calling that AI.

Hand 2: I don't have too much problem with this hand. I'm guilty of crying calls on the river. The Turn check was good and the river call only needed to be right 25% of the time.

Hand 3: Opportunity lost pre-flop. A big difference between Limit and NLH is the relative strength of TPTK. In NLH, your stack is always at risk. This hand would have played itself out at Limit and no-one gets hurt. NLH is different. Preflop, thin the field with a potsized 50c bet. 9c7c may have called, maybe not, I would have looking for a solid hit. Let's assume $1.50 in the pot, that was a perfect flop to lead out for the pot again. I would have passed on my middle pair in that spot. Selective aggression is the key to NLH, don't slowplay. An aggressive style lets you get away from more hands too. When people tangle, they generally have the goods or air.

Hand 4: Similar to Hand 3, betting the flop would have put pressure on. When the A came, you had a big enough pot to fire again and price out the gutshot. As it was, you got lost, slow played a great turn card and it all became costly. Playing trips fast you can throw in the occassional bluff when you have taken the lead early pre-flop like this. Don't worry about being re-raised, then it is up to you if you want to play for stacks at that stage or fold (see Hand 1).

Hand 5: Another case of slowplaying. NLH is a case of Big Hand, Big Pot, Small Hand, Small Pot. This is only a subset of your hands, but try not to get too clever. Simplify your decision making on all streets by taking the initiative. You need to find out where you are at before the significant bets start flying.

Hand 6: I liked your bet-size bet here and you have to call in this spot. Opponents AI was a classic case for playing fast with an overbet and simplifying things - imagine a TJQ or flush flop making a flop decision a little tougher. These hands just happen and you'll have plenty more in your favour in your career. Would you shove in his spot on what looked like a steal? I'd suggest that it is a good play as it smells of a re-steal.

No comments: