Monday, January 19, 2009

Is PLO37.5 my level?

Poker is such a deceptive game in terms of short term results and false reinforcement. Last night I had a session of PLO50 where I probably broke every one of the Hutchison System starting requirements repeatedly. I had a little calculator running alongside for the first time and I kept ignoring its guidance which was 80% Fold and 20% Limp. I only seen 1 Raise advice the whole session and the flop missed on that hand. I on the other hand was fairly aggressive preflop. Still passivish after the flop. One area I did improve was my river value betting.

So after ignoring the Hutchison advice, I turned $50 into $200+ in a couple of hours. Did I run good? Was it the deception that my wide range provided that allowed me to win the big pots? Has my post flop play and board texture reading improved? Alas, I really don't know.

What I do know is that my results are PLO25 (+$337), PLO50 (+$220) and PLO100 (-$240). In BB/100, that appears to be +25, Zero and -7 respectively. It would appear that I am between a PLO25 and PLO50 player for now.

For the record, 6500 hands averaging 9.74PTBB/100.

So where to from here, grind it out at PLO25 for a profit and experience. Or continue to take shots with any excess until I crack the $100. As I have exceeded expectations already, turning a profit at PLO25, I think that I'll continue taking shots as long as I'm not getting too hurt.

2 comments:

James P McAteer said...

Don't really know what to say - other than just keep going. Looks like you are gradually finding an approach that works. Also seems reasonable to take an occasional 'shot' until you are 100% ready to move up.

TiocfaidhArLa said...

Update: PLO25 ($337), PLO50 ($220) and PLO100 ($310). In BB/100, that appears to be 25, Zero and 20 respectively.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, so I won't adjust my view of where I am at. What is more pleasing is that after 6700 hands I am now tracking at a phenomenal (for me) 13PTBB/100.