Friday, January 9, 2009

PLO Heater?

From the first page of the PLO Strategy Primer "Low and mid pocket pairs are close to worthless. A hand like 5588 belongs in the muck. Even if you hit a set, you can easily lose to a higher set, straight, or flush."

Alas, I hadn't been asked yet by Laff for a primer, so when I seen 2 x AI from short stacks in front, I reasoned that I could be up against anything and if I hit my trips I could be good. I now realise that this thinking is totally flawed and expect never to make this mistake again.

One more leak plugged, and I have plugged so many very quickly. With PTO, I immediately discovered my biggest leak which has yet to be plugged but I seem to have slowed the flow to a trickly.

An excellent starting hand category as the name implies is Premium Aces. After being dealt this 13 out of 4500 hands, my Net return is a loss of $270, or $20 per hand. That's almost 13PTBB/Hand or 1300PTBB/100.

I have now committed not to lose my stack with these hands unless holding the nuts post flop. Sub-optimal, I'm sure, but until I learn a better way, I'm in damage control mode. Yesterday I referred to SuperSystem/2 and was pleased to read the page on AA. Paraphrasing, whilst a strong hand preflop, most players lose much more money with these hands than they win. That's me, I won a little 8 times, lost a little twice and lost my stack 3 times :-(.

So now that I've shared with you how crap I am. How did I go last night? Honestly, I just ran good once again. I dropped to 2 tables of PLO25 as I was getting a bit of work done at the same time. A couple of hours later I stood up with approx one BI profit on one and five BIs on the other. I can't remember the last time I've won 6 BIs with ease in a NLH session.

I'm convinced that this wasn't all good play or good cards. As in all poker, most of your profit comes from the mistakes of others. I'd encourage you to think about swimming with the fish before the well runs dry.

1 comment:

James P McAteer said...

Don't think you should minimise the work you have put into learning PLO - but I hear you loud and clear about the potential opportunity. Can you send some of your magic heater dust my way please?